Optimal Times to Explore Memphis, Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee, offers two prime periods for a memorable visit: spring (April to early June) and fall (mid-September to early November). These off-peak seasons grant travelers an exceptional Memphis experience, devoid of the scorching summer temperatures, crowds, and inflated prices.
Springtime in Memphis (April to Early June)
Spring brings delightful temperatures, ranging from the mid-50s°F (10°C to 15°C) to highs surpassing 70°F (21°C). This season is perfect for exploration, with fewer visitors and more budget-friendly accommodations. Must-see attractions include Graceland, Shelby Farms Park, and the Memphis Zoo.
Summer Heat in Memphis (Early June to Early September)
Memphis experiences sweltering summer heat, with temperatures exceeding 90°F (32°C) and high humidity levels. This peak tourist season results in larger crowds and increased hotel rates. Nonetheless, renowned attractions like Graceland and Sun Studios are still worth a visit if you can endure the heat.
Fall Foliage and Festivals (Mid-September to Early November)
Autumn in Memphis offers respite from the summer heat, with daily highs averaging in the mid-70s°F (about 24°C). The city comes alive with outdoor festivals, and lodging becomes more budget-friendly. Dive into Downtown Memphis, partake in the Delta Fair & Music Fest, and immerse yourself in the thriving cultural scene.
Winter Charm in Memphis (December to March)
For budget-conscious travelers, winter presents an excellent opportunity to explore Memphis. From December through March, aside from the holiday season, you’ll encounter fewer tourists and reduced prices. Temperatures vary from the upper 20s to the mid-50s°F, with humidity contributing to a cooler feel. Delve into Memphis’s cultural offerings and savor the holiday festivities.
- January: The chilliest month, with temperatures ranging from 29.9°F (-1.1°C) to 50°F (10°C). Low tourist activity, making it ideal for budget travelers.
- February: Slightly warmer but wetter than January, with temperature averages around 43°F (6°C). Low tourist numbers and distinctive events.
- March: Temperatures rise to an average of 62°F (17°C), but occasional thunderstorms are possible. Events such as the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Elvis Tribute Artist Weekend beckon.
- April: Average temperatures hover around 62°F (17°C) with increased rainfall (about 5.5 inches). Festival season kicks off with events like the Hot Wing Contest & Festival.
- May: Mild temperatures averaging around 71°F (2°C), with occasional days reaching the high 80s. Despite rainfall, festivals like Memphis in May draw visitors.
- June: Summer heat arrives, with temperatures around 78°F (26°C). Ideal for outdoor festivals such as the Juneteenth Urban Music Festival.
- July: The hottest month, with daily highs averaging 90°F (32°C). Indoor attractions and BBQ experiences are ideal.
- August: High temperatures persist, averaging around 81°F (27°C). Events like Elvis Week draw crowds.
- September: Temperatures cool to an average of 73°F (23°C) after Labor Day. Perfect for enjoying festivals like Latin Fest and Delta Fair & Music Fest.
- October: Mild temperatures around 62°F (17°C) coincide with the onset of fall foliage. An excellent time for Oktoberfests and Halloween events.
- November: The transition to winter brings average temperatures around 52°F (11°C). Low tourist season and affordable rates.
- December: Winter officially arrives, with temperatures around 42°F (5°C). The holiday spirit thrives with festivities and markets.
Plan your Memphis adventure based on these seasonal and monthly insights to optimize your travel experience.